Bells

Bells

Edgbaston Old Church has a very fine ring of eight bells, which are rung during term time by members of BUSCR (The Birmingham University Society of Change Ringers) and other friends of the church. Regular practices are held on Wednesday evenings at 7.00 pm during University term time.  For more details contact BUSCR or see their website.

The tower of bells is also used by Birmingham School of Bell Ringing as a teaching tower so if you are interested in learning to become a 'bell ringer' more details can be found at their website.

Our Tower houses a fine ringing peal of eight bells, which are regarded as being amongst some of the best in the Diocese.  The oldest four bells, including the Tenor bell, date from 1685 and were recast in 1927 by the predecessors of John Taylor and Co. (Loughborough) creating an unbroken line with the bells heard by our ancestors.  The treble and second bell are inscribed “To the Glory of God”. 

One of the original 17th century clappers hangs on the south wall. 

The inscriptions on the bells read:

No. 8 (10 cwt) Tenor
‘Fear God and Honor the King’ (1685)

No. 7 (7 cwt)
‘Matthew Bagley made mee’ (1685)

No. 6 (5 cwt)
‘Matthew Bagley made mee’ (1685)

No. 5 (4 cwt)
‘Matthew Bagley made mee’ (1685)    

No. 4 (4 cwt)
‘To the greater glory of God’ (1898)

No. 3 (4 cwt)
‘Cast by T. Pyke, Bridgewater’ (1781)

No. 2 (4 cwt)
‘To the glory of God’ (1927)
Given by members of the congregation
‘Adeste Fideles’

No. 1 (4cwt)
‘To the glory of God’ (1927)